Your home is a sacred space. It’s where you family spends time together, where you share meals, where you go when you just want to get away from all of the noise. Your home should always feel safe. But, what if it doesn’t? Bumps in the night, beeping smoke alarms, worrying about unlocked doors… It’s enough to make you mad. Here’s what you can add to your home to boost your peace of mind while spending time in your sacred space.
Crime is real and break-ins can happen to anyone, no matter where you live. Protect your home and your family from criminals by adding a comprehensive security monitoring system to your home. Automated home security can give you a sense of security when you’re home or away with its smart home connectivity. Homes are most vulnerable when no one is home and the security experts at ADT know that. That’s why they’ve created a home automation system that operates on a schedule. Homeowners can control the security system directly from their smartphone or tablet, which includes functions like locking and unlocking doors, switching lights on or off, and arming or disarming the security system. Plus, ADT can be paired with Nest devices, which makes for the ultimate in home automation!
Locate and Address Potential Hazards
How safe is your home? At first glance it might seem pretty safe. But take a closer look and you may be surprised at how many unsafe hazards and potential dangers are actually in your living quarters. Take a walk through your home and try to identify where falls and trips are likely — think loose wires, slipping rugs and clutter on the floor. Remember, falls are the leading cause of injuries, so, taking time to eliminate these potential hazards can pay off when it comes to making your home safer and keeping your family happy and healthy. Keep an eye out for additional issues, like exposed electrical outlets or think about installing cabinet locks and straps if you’re concerned about kids getting into the medicine cabinet or cleaning supplies.
Turn on the Lights
Don’t underestimate the power of good lighting. Make sure the outside of your home is well-lit, with a porch light and lights around plants and shrubbery. Shadows are prime real estate for burglars to hide, and when they think no one is home, your house is even more appealing to them. Consider a motion sensor light that goes on whenever something falls within it’s path. Whether it’s an animal making it’s way through your trash cans or a person coming up your driveway, you’ll bring attention to it.
In addition to outdoor lighting, having your indoor lighting on timers, or using a home control system that allows you to turn your lights on and off from a smart device, means you can make it look like you’re home even when you’re not.
Use these three tips to keep your home safe and secure for you and all your loved ones.
Identity Magazine is all about guiding women to discover their powers of Self-Acceptance, Appreciation, and Personal Achievement. We ask that every contributor and expert answer the Identity 5 questions in keeping with our theme. Their answers can be random and in the moment or they can be aligned with the current article they have written. In that way, and as a team, we hope to encourage and motivate each other, thus inspiring you to Get All A’s.
1. What have you accepted within your life, physically and/or mentally? Additionally, what are you still working on accepting? Now, we’re talking about resignation, rather stepping into, embraced, and owned.
I’ve learned to accept that we have to all appreciate the little things and to not take anything for granted.
2. What have you learned to appreciate about yourself and/or within your life, physically and mentally? On the other hand OR in contrast, are there elements of who you are that you’re still working on appreciating?
I appreciate and I’m blessed to have loving family and friends in my life.
3. What is one of your most rewarding achievements in life? Tell us not only what makes YOU most proud but also share the goals and dreams that you still have.
My biggest achievement is graduating from Arizona State University in 2013!
4. Of course, we all have imperfections, or so we think. In truth, we are all perfectly imperfect. What are your not-so-perfect ways? Likewise, what imperfections and quirks create who you are—your Identity?
Working to keep in mind that nobody’s perfect—it’s been hard to accept it.
5. “I Love My…” is an outlet for you to appreciate and express all the positive traits that make you…well…YOU! In fact, sharing what you love about yourself will make you smile, feel empowered, and uplift your spirit and soul. (We assure you!) Therefore, Identity challenges you to complete the phrase “I Love My…?”
I love my unwavering intensity. Everything I do is 100 percent.